Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving and Visioning the Future

Today I wake-up back in Pennsylvania. It is Thanksgiving morning and I spend a few moments sorting out all of the experiences I have had in the past few weeks, as well as the vast number of things I am grateful for.

So much has been accomplished, so much remains to be done. I want to share a story and a few final pictures with you to illustrate Woiny’s tireless creativity and her relentless process of envisioning the future.

A few years ago HFC received a shipping container from Australia filled with all sort of supplies for the children. Since that time, the container has served as a storage building for various donations. Last week, over the course of a single day, I heard metal being cut, welded and hammered, but did not really pay much attention to what was happening.


The next day, however, when I was summoned to lunch, I found the usual dining area empty and was told that I should come to the new “Inter-Container Canteen” for it inaugural meal. As I entered the container I was completely surprised to see that it had been transformed into a two-room facility with a full kitchen in one half and a serving/dining area in the other. A small window between the two allows the food and the coffee to be passed between the two.

This creative use of every possible resource and the endless envisioning of new projects are two of Woiny’s greatest gifts. Three weeks ago she showed me the new school she was planning to open in Entoto. Before I left, she had found someone to fund it and had already moved on to her latest dream of buying a nearby building to ensure a permanent home for her Play Therapy Center.

In addition, she has convinced me that when I have collected enough psychology books, I will find a way to send them over in a container similar to the one that has recently become the dining hall. The container, she has announced, will then be turned into the library. I have no idea how all this will happen, only that this new psychology library, now envisioned, will only be a matter of time and effort before it manifests.


I wish you all a mindful day of thanks-giving and am so grateful for your interest in the on-going story of Hope for Children and the experience of bringing EMDR to Ethiopia, a country of great need, great resourcefulness and great gratitude.


Dorothy




No comments:

Post a Comment