Saturday, March 2, 2013

Children's Book About Grief



When I first met Woiny in 2009 she gave me a copy of Titi's Day Out,  a story she had written for the HFC orphaned children to help them understand the deep emotions of grief they were experiencing. The story, set in the world of dogs, speaks to children of all cultures and religions. The message, that love does not die, points the way to the post-traumatic growth that is possible for anyone who is struggling with a painful loss.

From that day on, I began thinking about how I could bring Woiny's story to life. I envisioned a beautiful book that Woiny and the other therapists in Ethiopia could use with their young grieving clients.


Then, about a year ago, a good friend and wonderful artist asked me if there was any way she could help with my work in Ethiopia. Suddenly, the book project was birthed.  

Joan Bechtel has lovingly painted beautiful watercolor illustrations for Titi's Day Out, and last month I self-published the first version of Woiny's story, just in time for my trip to Ethiopia.

So many therapists, teachers and parents have asked to own copies of this book that Joan, Woiny and I have decided to sell it as an eBook. We believe that the words and pictures of this simple story can help countless children begin the process of dealing with loss. All of the proceeds will be donated to HFC, and, from the money that we raise, even more traumatized Ethiopian children and adults will be able to access psychological help.

So please, help us spread the word and send this link to anyone you know who might be interested in downloading our book. Our goal is that this simple story reaches children all over the world to help them heal from one of life's most difficult experiences.


       

No comments:

Post a Comment